No Standard Handicap Parking Lot Stencil

I often get asked; "What is the "Standard Handicap Parking Lot Stencil""? I always answer the same…there is no standard...none at all.. But…there is a “most common” size...for (2) reasons...and I'll get to that. 
First...it's private property. It’s that simple. If you are "Re-Striping" a Bank parking lot...your stencil will not match. So...like I say in my book; How I Stripe, "Blue it out" and re spray using yours. All is well.
Next...I do understand there are certain Handicap stencils used for certain businesses. Click to see: WalMart or Chick-Fil-A. We even have a "Racing" Handicap. Click HERE to see that. Again…no standard shape or size.
Next...back to the most common size...and...for (2) reasons. 
1) Buy the 39" Handicap. The most common size...when I started, 28 years ago...was a simple 36". Things change. Either someone said..."this is OUR standard HC"...and everybody thought that was thee standard, or, we all moved to the 39" height because it left no scrap from the plastic sheet. Blahblah…Thee most common size is the 39" tall Handicap. AND...that's the measurement from the top of the "Head" to the bottom of the "Wheel". 39".

2) There's an unwritten rule for stripers..."you can always go bigger but be careful going smaller". In other words...if there's a 36" or a 30" HC on the ground...Blue it out and spray your 39". OR...if there's an 8" VISITOR stencil on the ground…"Grey" it out and spray your 12" VISITOR. ( You can always go bigger but be careful going smaller. ) There's a mall I frequent, near my shop. Someone re striped it. They semi sloppily "Greyed" out the 36" STOP stencils. They then re-sprayed using 24" STOP stencils. Maybe (1) week later...the Grey out was nicely done and 36" STOP stencils were now in place. Again...be careful going smaller.
Bottom line...buy the 39". ( The 48" HC is too big. ) Buy the 39". It is thee most common and it covers many smaller sizes. And...to be clear...I'll MFG and sell you 1000 stencils...but...if you have a job that has a 36" HC...don't buy one. Blue it out and spray your 39". Keep that philosophy in mind. Buy what you can use forever.
I hope I helped. Let me know. Best Small Business Start Up Ever; Pavement Marking / Parking Lot Striping.
Take a look at my site; www.AmericanStriping.com. Consider buying my book; How I Stripe. Click HERE to Read (4) Pages. 

Popular posts from this blog

How I Stencil a Parking Lot

How I Stripe; Parking Lot Stencils

Best Parking Lot Stencil